- The Latest: Sanders supporters cross bridge into Philly
- Comedian Katt Williams arrested following L.A. hotel dispute
- Washington Monument to stay closed at least until Wednesday
- Cranes ready to drop aid into Syrian camps await Jordan nod
- Armed attack at Yemen border kills 5 Saudi border guards
- Maryland Lottery Offers Two New Ravens Scratch-offs
- Md. Man Charged In Sexual Assault; Univ. of Florida Football Walk-On Stopped the Attack
- Breaking Down the Gender Stereotypes In Kids’ Clothing
- Labour MP Sarah Champion REJOINS Jeremy Corbyn's front bench
- Judge rules Neo Nazi can get a makeover to hide his white supremacist tattoos from jurors
More from News
By Helen Lawson
PUBLISHED: 04:33 EST, 3 November 2012 | UPDATED: 04:52 EST, 3 November 2012
A 19-year-old man has been arrested for punching his family's puppy in the face and throwing her against a tree while drunk.
The attack left the five-month-old German Shepherd, called Bernice, limping and with a swollen and bloodshot right eye.
Jesse Pegram, of Ethel, Washington, Seattle, was arrested on suspicion of first-degree animal cruelty after the assault in the early hours of Friday morning.
This picture shows Bernice the German Shepherd puppy with the swollen and bloodshot eye after the horrific attack by drunken Jesse Pegram
Family members called police in the early hours of Friday morning as Jesse Pegram, 19, punched five-month-old puppy Bernice and threw her against a tree
Pegram's relatives called the sheriff's office at 1am to say he was out of control and attacking Bernice.
They told officers that Pegram had also thrown her against a tree.
The puppy is expected to make a full recovery after she was taken to the Cascade West Veterinary Hospital in Centralia.
Vet Dr Chris Affeldt said Bernice may be transferred to an animal shelter from the hospital this weekend.