- S. Africa's withdrawal rocks International Criminal Court
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe skirts retirement talk at burial of friend
- Libya forces 'free 13 foreigners from IS group'
- West Indies crumble after Misbah's near miss
- Egyptian court upholds 20-year jail sentence for Morsi
- Person Jumps from Building to Escape Fire
- With their belongings in bin bags and shopping trolleys, thousands of migrants are set to spread across Northern France as they are forced to leave the Calais Jungle so it can be bulldozed
- Woman left with gruesome bite marks after a SNAKE attacked her in a city suburb when it got a whiff of her Aldi CHICKEN!
- 80 people are evacuated from homes as man with ‘hazardous items’ is locked inside house
- League table of most prosperous places to live show it's grim up north
More from News
By Helen Lawson
PUBLISHED: 04:33 EST, 3 November 2012 | UPDATED: 04:52 EST, 3 November 2012
A 19-year-old man has been arrested for punching his family's puppy in the face and throwing her against a tree while drunk.
The attack left the five-month-old German Shepherd, called Bernice, limping and with a swollen and bloodshot right eye.
Jesse Pegram, of Ethel, Washington, Seattle, was arrested on suspicion of first-degree animal cruelty after the assault in the early hours of Friday morning.
This picture shows Bernice the German Shepherd puppy with the swollen and bloodshot eye after the horrific attack by drunken Jesse Pegram
Family members called police in the early hours of Friday morning as Jesse Pegram, 19, punched five-month-old puppy Bernice and threw her against a tree
Pegram's relatives called the sheriff's office at 1am to say he was out of control and attacking Bernice.
They told officers that Pegram had also thrown her against a tree.
The puppy is expected to make a full recovery after she was taken to the Cascade West Veterinary Hospital in Centralia.
Vet Dr Chris Affeldt said Bernice may be transferred to an animal shelter from the hospital this weekend.