- Widows of victims of Nigeria's Boko Haram say aid overdue
- Iran's president says US election offers only bad or worse choice
- Iraqi Kurds say they captured town near Mosul
- England need two wickets, Bangladesh 33 runs to win test
- AT&T-Time Warner may signal start of new media industry consolidation
- Several Earthquakes Recorded In Oklahoma In Past Two Days
- Bill Murray Crashes White House Press Briefing
- Brazilian jeweller shot DEAD as he tries to fight off armed robber on CCTV
- British scientists discover pill to stop sperm swimming that men could take before sex
- More than 80 people arrested at protests against oil pipe linein North Dakota
More from News
- Presenter douses performer's head in flammable liquid, then ignites it
- Magician Wayne Houchin suffers burns to head, face, neck and hand
By Associated Press and Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:01 EST, 2 December 2012 | UPDATED: 20:53 EST, 2 December 2012
An American magician was recuperating Sunday in the Dominican Republic after a local television show host lit his head on fire with a flammable cologne.
Chico, California-native Wayne Houchin said he is receiving treatment for burns that doctors are cautiously optimistic will not result in scars.
A Sunday statement on his Facebook page says he is 'resting, healing & working through the legal process' in the Caribbean nation, where he had been performing with a group of fellow magicians.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO
'Surprise attack': Guest host Franklin Barazarte rubbed his hands together and over Wayne Houchin's head
Houchin's head immediately caught fire
During a November 26 appearance on the Dominican Republic's Closer To The Stars TV program, guest host Franklin Barazarte abruptly doused the U.S. magician's head with 'Agua de Florida,' a flammable cologne commonly used in Santeria rituals.
Two days after the incident Houchin posted on Facebook: 'I was not aware he was going to do this. This was not a stunt or part of an act - this was a criminal attack.
'The fast actions of the rest of our Curiosidades team saved my life.
'The fire was put out and I was rushed to the emergency room. I have bad burns on my head, face, neck and right hand.'
The host appeared to try and put out the flames
Houchin staggered off stage with his head still ablaze
A video of the incident shows the magician's head bursting into flames as Barazarte runs his hands over Houchin's hair.
It is unclear why the TV host doused his head in the liquid and what ignited it. The program has not commented on the incident.
The video also shows Houchin, Barazarte and others struggling to extinguish the flames for several seconds.
Houchin has since claimed that the quick actions of the TV crew saved his life
The incident was not broadcast on Dominican television but a video of it has appeared on the Internet.
Houchin added on Thursday: 'The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country full of beautiful people.
'The outrage here and outpouring of support has been incredible.
'The support, love and well wishes that has been sent my way through social media, blogs, forums, friends and fans has been both humbling and overwhelming. Thank you.'
It was not immediately clear if he has retained a lawyer in the Dominican Republic.
The magician needed immediate hospital treatment for his burns. Houchin is now recovering and is hopeful there will be no permanent scars
WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE CONTAINED IN VIDEO