Man charged with sending letters stuffed with condoms and faeces in a bizarre campaign against woman he didn't know

  • Anthony Jones harassed Joanna Green for two months between December 15 last year and February 16 this year
  • He was alleged to have sent the vile letters, made hoax calls that sent the police and ambulances to her house, and accused her family of fights and drug-taking
  • Miss Green was left fearing for her six-year-old son's safety

By Libby Galvin

PUBLISHED: 08:54 EST, 7 December 2012 | UPDATED: 08:54 EST, 7 December 2012

A man who faced a charge of sending soiled condoms and faeces in a campaign of harassment against a woman he had never even met has been given a restraining order.

Anthony Jones was convicted of harassing the mother of six, Joanna Green, for two months between December 15 last year and February 16 this year.

He was alleged to have sent menacing letters to her flat, in some instances stuffed with human faeces and a liquid-filled condom, as well as fabricating complaints against her and making hoax calls to the emergency services.

Victim and perpetrator: Joanna Green, left, was left 'stressed and confused' by the inexplicable campaign of harassment waged against her by Anthony Jones, right

The letters did not use Miss Green's name but were addressed to 'The Occupier' and contained strange expletive-littered demands and accusations.

One said 'Shawn, stop f***ing Skyping me, ****.' Others kept asking after a person named 'Mandy'.

Mr Jones, 40, denied sending the condom and faeces but admitted that he had made hoax calls which sent the police and ambulance to Miss Green's home in Bristol.

He had also fabricated complaints about Miss Green's family, alleging that he had witnessed fights and drug-taking by people living at her flat and accusing them of harassing him.

Police tracked Mr Jones down after discovering four of the 10 hoax 999 calls had come from his mobile phone, which he had previously used to make bizarre calls to police in 2009.

Mr Jones blamed 'friends' for sending the sick letters and making a further six phone calls from a phonebox near his home.

Miss Green, 44, said she had no idea why she had been targeted and that the experience had left her 'stressed and confused' and fearing for her six-year-old son's safety.

She said: 'He's obviously a fantasist. I've never met anyone like that before.

'It was a really hard time for all of us.'

Bristol magistrates found Jones guilty of causing harassment without violence but could not find enough evidence to prove he sent the letters, which came under the same charge.

Mr Jones has been given a one-year community order including 100 hours of unpaid work and a 12-week curfew, as well as a restraining order which will keep him away from his victim until May 31, 2014. He has also been ordered to pay £300 costs.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are those of the writers and do not reflect those of Capitalbay. Capitalbay accepts no responsibility legal or otherwise for their accuracy of content. Please report any inappropriate content to us, and we will evaluate it as a matter of priority.
What's next
By Staff 12/07/2012 07:54:00