- 4 adults found dead after shooting in Texas
- Mexico weighs house arrest for aged drug lord
- Eun Jeong Seong wins second straight US Girls' Junior
- Solar plane leaves Cairo on last leg of globe-circling trip
- Sheriff died doing what he's always done: helping others
- No Shortage Of Ways Marylanders Cope With Heat Wave
- Internal Reviews Underway For Officers Cleared in Freddie Gray Case
- Panteg AFC captain will never play again after severe head injuries suffered in Latvia
- Inquest shock: Pathologist investigating death of seven-year-old boy tells coroner that police failed to reveal high levels of cyanide gas in child's flooded home
- Expat OAPs see £400 a month wiped off their incomes after sharp slump in the pound following Brexit vote
More from News
A father's worst nightmare came true when a homeless man admitted to having sex with a 15-year-old girl whose family he knew.
Brent Jacob Surdyke, 28, of St. Charles, Missouri, was charged with statutory rape and statutory sodomy on Thursday.
The relationship between Surdyke and his unnamed victim was discovered by the girl's father, who found text messages between the two on his daughter’s cell phone.
The 15-year-old told her father that she and Surdyke had been having sex, most recently at a St. Charles motel on December 1, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
Surdyke, who is reported to be a friend of the family, confessed to the relationship, local police say.
His bail was set at $25,000.
No other details about Surdyke or his ties to the family were available at the time of this report.
Surdyke is the fourth person in the St. Charles area in the past two months to be charged with having sex with a minor.
John Scott Thomas III, 28, pleaded guilty in November to sexually abusing three young girls, in what police said was one of the worst cases of child abuse in the county.
The victims were girls ages 5, 3, and 7 months.
Thomas is set to be sentenced on February 5. In exchange for his guilty plea, prosecutors have asked that his sentence be capped at 30 years.
Rebecca Sue Russell, 31, pleaded guilty in November to sexually abusing two young girls, ages 5 years old and 7 months old.
Russell is now serving 10 years in jail.
Billy Joe Bunch Jr., 26, pleaded guilty in November to sexually abusing a 5-year-old girl.
Bunch has been sentenced to 15 years in prison.