- Wozniacki downs wildcard Osaka to win Pan Pacific Open
- The Latest: Mall shooting suspect 'zombie-like' when caught
- N. Korean defectors sold as brides in China want kids back
- North Korean defectors who became Chinese brides end silence
- China's Li seeks new tack in ties with Cuba
- Ashes to Auction: Capote Remains Sell for $45,000
- Doubts Remain After Charlotte Police Shooting Video Released
- Bill Nunn, Actor in “Do the Right Thing,” Dead at 63
- WEATHER BLOG: Cooler Air is Here
- 3 Bodies Found in the Sea off Florida Keys
More from News
- The comedian's solicitor said he will face no further action
- Was arrested in January by Operation Yewtree detectives
- Solicitor said Big Break presenter was 'pleased' with news from police
By Becky Evans
PUBLISHED: 12:07 EST, 21 August 2013 | UPDATED: 13:49 EST, 21 August 2013
Comedian Jim Davidson's solicitor said he will face no further action over alleged sexual offences
Comedian Jim Davidson is 'pleased' after being told he will face no further action in the UK after he was arrested on suspicion of historic sexual offences.
The 59-year-old was held in January by detectives from Operation Yewtree, the national investigation sparked by the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, and re-arrested in March after further allegations were made.
He was told today that he will face no further action in this country, and one remaining claim has been referred to an authority outside the UK.
His solicitor Henri Brandman of Henri Brandman and Co solicitors said: 'My client Jim Davidson was, of course, arrested a number of months ago in respect of allegations of a historical sexual nature.
'He is pleased to have received news today that there will be no further action relating to the allegations.'
Davidson has consistently denied the allegations against him, which were said to involve a number of women, and one claim that dated back 35 years.
The allegations had no connection to disgraced television presenter Savile, and Davidson previously said that all the alleged victims were adults at the time of the claims.
The five-times married comedian was originally detained at Heathrow Airport in January after landing to take part in Celebrity Big Brother, which he said at the time left him 'completely gobsmacked'.
Speaking in January, the comedian 'vigorously denied’ the allegations.
Scotland Yard announced today that he and a 53-year-old man who was arrested in January were told they will face no further action after they were released from bail.
Operation Yewtree was sparked by the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal
A Scotland Yard spokesman did not name the performer, but said: 'There remains one outstanding allegation originally referred to Operation Yewtree that falls outside UK jurisdiction which has been referred to the relevant authority.'
said that there was insufficient evidence in relation to 10
allegations, one of which related to both men, and nine others that were
made against Davidson.
Crown Prosecution spokesman said: 'All the complaints have been
reviewed in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors and the CPS
legal guidance on rape and sexual offences.
'We have determined that there is insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction in relation to all complaints and have advised the Metropolitan Police Service that no further action should be taken.
'All those involved have been informed of the decisions, and, as is normal, should any of the complainants request a meeting to discuss these decisions we would be happy to meet with them.'
- Pictured: British fashion graduate, 23, whose foot was...
- Two teens 'who shot dead Australian student in the street...
- 'Distraught' girl, 17, faces humiliation on the web after...
- Best first pitch ever? South Korean actress is latest to...
- Investment bank intern, 21, on £45,000 worked 'until 6am for...
- Doctor 'took photos of drunk model, 23, while she was in ER...
- Handgun used in 2012 double murder tied to NFL star Aaron...
- Couple who built floor-to-ceiling glass shower put up a...
- Busy Bea's summer of non-stop fun: Princess Beatrice quietly...
- Woman, 38, paralyzed after being picked up and dropped on...
- 'I'm not scared for her wellbeing': Mother whose adopted...
- High art on a mobile phone: The incredible photographs taken...