- Helen marten named winner of 2016 turner prize
- Justice suspends president of Brazil's Senate from duties
- The Latest: Prosecutors plan to retry police officer
- Police officer charged for slapping man dressed as bunny
- Man Convicted In Son’s Hot-Car Death Gets Life, No Parole
- Police: Fake News Story Led Gunman To Popular D.C. Pizzeria
- Keidel: Are These Chiefs For Real?
- Mistrial Declared In Black Motorist’s Shooting
- Maryland Woman Ordered Released on Bail from Gambian Prison
- Grinch Investigation: Christmas Lights Stolen In Edgemere
Jason Lyle Wood charged: Veteran firefighter, 39, 'raped, sodomized and molested 13-year-old girl for months and gave her a secret phone'
More from News
- Jason Lyle Wood was arrested Friday at the 911 dispatch center within Oklahoma City Fire Department, where he's worked for 13 years
- He has been charged with rape, forcible sodomy and lewd molestation
- The young teen's father initially brought the allegations to a Garvin County sheriff's deputy
- According to police, Wood gave the girl a cell phone so he could contact her secretly and he instructed her to send him nude photographs of herself
- The pair have had sex several times and in multiple cities since June and investigators believe there may be other victims
By Helen Pow
PUBLISHED: 11:19 EST, 5 November 2013 | UPDATED: 11:29 EST, 5 November 2013
A 13-year veteran with the Oklahoma City Fire Department is accused of raping a 13-year-old girl over a period of months and giving her a secret cell phone so she could send him nude pictures of herself.
Corporal Jason Lyle Wood, 39, was arrested Friday at the 911 dispatch center, where he has worked for a decade after three years fighting fires. He has been charged with rape, forcible sodomy and lewd molestation of a minor.
The alleged victim's father contacted a sheriff's deputy to make allegations against Wood, claiming the pair had engaged in sexual acts multiple times since June. Court records state the encounters took place in New Mexico and several Oklahoma cities including Moore and Elmore City.
Accused: Corporal Jason Lyle Wood, 39, pictured, was arrested Friday and has been charged with rape, forcible sodomy and lewd acts with a 13-year-old girl
'It's just disturbing to find out of an alleged crime like this occurring in my county, especially when it crosses over multiple jurisdictions,' Garvin County Sheriff Larry Rhodes told News 9.
Wood allegedly gave the girl the cell phone so he could contact her without her parents knowing and he instructed her text him every morning. He also reportedly requested and received nude photographs of the teen and sent nude photographs of himself to her on the phone.
The 13-year-old underwent a forensic exam in Norman on Wednesday with a Moore police officer and Garvin County sheriff's deputies present.
Wood is being held in Garvin County jail on $75,000 bond. Investigators believe they have a strong case against him.
'We do feel that the evidence we recovered will lead to possibly additional charges or corroborate the initial charges in this case,' said Rhodes.
Veteran: Wood was arrested at the 911 dispatch center within Oklahoma City Fire Department, pictured, where he has worked for a decade after three years fighting fires
He added that his deputies were looking to see if there are additional victims and are appealing to the public for information.
Oklahoma City Fire Chief Keith Bryant said the department would be taking the allegations very seriously.
'We're going to cooperate with law enforcement and see where this goes,' Bryant said, adding that Wood has been taken off duty but will remain an employee pending an internal investigation.
'City policy dictates that we give the employee due process, but we will be meeting with (Wood) as soon as possible, Bryant told News 9.
It was also reported that Wood accessed Oklahoma City Police Department files late last month after learning he was being investigated.