- Fox 45 Suspect Charged With Arson, Other Charges
- Bomb Threat At Annapolis Mall Deemed Hoax; No Device Found
- Missing University Of Maryland Student Found Dead
- Cruise Ship With Sickened Norovirus Passengers Arrives In Baltimore
- Kennedy Krieger Holds ROAR For Kids Fundraiser
- Baltimore County Gets Brand New Animal Shelter
- Report: Heart Condition Didn’t Cause Man’s Death In Custody
- Orioles Lose 8-7 To White Sox Despite Rally In 8th Inning
- Person Struck By Light Rail In Baltimore
- Police Identify Woman Killed In Wrong-Way Crash
More from News
- Mother whose son Jack Susianta died in canal as police officers watched regrets calling them
- Butlins lifeguard Alex Hill faces trial accused of possessing child porn and grooming boy
- Top Gear's Chris Evans swamped in controversy as former staff claim he is ‘sh***y’ at work
- Mother discovered the man she married had killed her son by shaking him to death
- Sanitary bins 'should be placed in male toilets for transgender men on periods'
- Roberts, 53, thanked 'long time girlfriend Amber' Laign as well as her fans after a year recovering from a cancer battle
- Roberts had a bone marrow transplant in September 2012 to treat potentially fatal myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), a type of blood cancer
- The Good Morning America host signed a lucrative contract renewal with ABC just this month
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 18:23 EST, 29 December 2013 | UPDATED: 19:13 EST, 29 December 2013
Good Morning America host Robin Roberts publicly acknowledged that she is gay on Sunday for the first time.
The 53-year-old cancer survivor thanked her girlfriend of ten years as part of a heartfelt end-of-year thank you addressed to fans and loved ones posted to her Facebook.
'I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious new year together,' Roberts wrote.
Scroll down to read her full letter...
Roberts, here on vacation in Hawaii in August 2013, stands with her girlfriend of 10 years Amber Laign (center left)
Amber, reports Media Bistro, is Amber Laign, a message therapists who helps patients recuperate from injuries.
Roberts' sexuality has been known to her family, friends and co-workers for some time but this is the first time the television personality has spoken of that aspect of her personal life publicly.
In 2012 Roberts was diagnosed with the blood disorder myelodysplastic syndrome and took a medical leave of absence from Good Morning America.
She returned to the show in February 2013 and won a Peabody Award the same year for Robin's Journey, a series of TV reports that chronicled her battle against MDS.
Five years earlier she had been treated for breast cancer.
Thanks longtime girlfriend: GMA host Robin Roberts, bottom left, came out as a lesbian in a heartfelt thank you letter to friends and loved ones posted to Facebook Sunday
In the mean time, her letter of gratitude appears at a time when Roberts has quite a bit to be thankful for.
According to the New York Post, the Good Morning America darling inked a new long-term deal with ABC for a reported $10 million and $14 million.
Roberts is currently writing a memoir
about her health struggles and the lessons she learned from them. The
book is due to be published in April by Grand Central Publishing, a
division of Hachette Book Group.
Good company: Roberts joins her former co-worker, weatherman Sam Champion (center left), who came out as gay in October 2012 and has since married his partner
It remains to be seen whether Roberts will discuss her relationship or sexuality in the book.
'On this last Sunday of 2013 I encourage you to reflect on what you are grateful for too,' she writes in today's post. 'Wishing you a Healthy and Happy New Year.'
Roberts joins her former co-worker Sam Champion, the GMA weather anchor, who came out as gay in October 2012 and has since married his then boyfriend.
100 days after transplant: Roberts posted this photo of herself reuniting with her beloved dog KT in 2012 along with her gratitude letter on Facebook
'AT PEACE AND FILLED WITH JOY': ROBERTS' TOUCHING FULL LETTER OF GRATITUDE DOUBLES AS A COMING OUT ON FACEBOOK
Flashback 12/29/12....Hard to believe this was 1 year ago today..when I reached a critical milestone of 100 days post transplant...and KJ was finally allowed to come back home.
Reading this comforts me and I hope the same for you: 'If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.'
At this moment I am at peace and filled with joy and gratitude.
I am grateful to God, my doctors and nurses for my restored good health.
I am grateful for my sister, Sally-Ann, for being my donor and giving me the gift of life.
I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious new year together.
I am grateful for the many prayers and well wishes for my recovery. I return every one of them to you 100 fold.
On this last Sunday of 2013 I encourage you to reflect on what you are grateful for too.
Wishing you a Healthy and Happy New Year.
Peace, love, and blessings to all..XO
Thankful: Roberts underwent a bone marrow transplant in September 2012 as part of her battle against bone cancer that became headline news and a constant focus of her show Good Morning America