- Q&A on state laws meant to keep guns from domestic abusers
- Hungary's public education official replaced amid protests
- Watson bought by Bangalore for $1.4 million at IPL auction
- Turkish FM reaffirms 'open borders' for Syrian refugees
- Syria says any foreign aggressors will go home "in coffins"
- Sex-abuse survivor takes leave of absence from Vatican panel
- The best solo holidays revealed
- It's a goal! Shocking footage shows the moment a young boy SMASHES an iPad to the ground with his hockey stick during a balancing act in a shopping centre
- Why, why, why! Six Nations fans told not to sing Welsh rugby anthem Delilah because it 'glorifies violence against women'
- This dog can dance! Homeless pooch busts out some moves as he twerks alongside his new friend
'Drunk' couple arrested over death of 'filthy' 6-week-old daughter who was found unresponsive in their home
More from News
- Kadence Cannon was not breathing when she was found 'covered in dirt, fecal matter, diaper rash and lice' inside her parents Oklahoma home
- Emergency responders could not revive her and she later died
- She was found unresponsive after her parents, Mark Cannon, 45, and Jennifer Cannon, 26, 'got drunk and argued'
- Mr Cannon took their kids from the home, returned at sunrise and put Kadence to bed - but when he checked on her she was not breathing
By Lydia Warren
Published: 14:12 GMT, 16 May 2014 | Updated: 14:41 GMT, 16 May 2014
A couple has been arrested after their six-week-old daughter was found unresponsive in their home with apparent signs of long-term neglect, police have said.
Kadence Cannon was covered in dirt and fecal matter with untreated diaper rash and lice when she was found not breathing in Enid, Oklahoma on Wednesday, the police captain told KTOK.
When police interviewed her parents, 45-year-old Mark Cannon and 26-year-old Jennifer Cannon, they told police they had been up all night drinking on Tuesday and got into an argument.
They both left the home separately, with Mr Cannon taking Kadence and their one-year-old son with him, according to a police release.
Arrest: Mark Cannon, 45, and his wife Jennifer Cannon, 26, have been arrested on child neglect charges after their six-week-old daughter was allegedly found filthy and unresponsive in their home this week
When he returned home, he fed his daughter, put her to sleep in bed at sunrise on Wednesday but when he checked her later, he found her cold and not breathing, police said.
Authorities believe six-and-a-half hours had passed between him putting her down and checking on her.
The child's aunt, who would not give her name, made a frantic 911 call on Wednesday.
'I need an ambulance. My little niece is not breathing,' the aunt said in the call, KOCO reported.
The aunt tried CPR to save her as dispatchers advised her on the phone, but little Kadence was pronounced dead at Bass Hospital on Wednesday afternoon.
Tragic: Emergency responders were unable to revive Kadence Cannon and she was pronounced dead
'Neglected': The little girl was allegedly found with fecal matter on her body and with untreated diaper rash
In care: Jennifer Cannon is pictured with her son, who is in the custody of Department of Human Services
When investigators arrived at the home, they said they determined that both Mark Cannon and Jennifer Cannon still appeared to be under the influence of alcohol.
They were taken to the Garfield County Detention Center on complaints of child neglect.
'There was evidence that the neglect had taken course over a period of time,' said Lt. Eric Holtzclaw of the Enid Police Department.
The baby's aunt said that Jennifer Cannon had just taken the girl to the doctor for treatment.
'I don't know why they would be charging her for neglect because she didn't do anything wrong,' she said. 'As far as I’m concerned, neither one of them did.'
She added of Kadence: 'She was a happy baby. She's bright-eyed and bushytailed.'
Scene: The couple had been drinking all night and arguing at their home in Enid, Oklahoma, pictured
Tributes also poured in for the 'precious' little girl on Facebook beneath a photograph of her.
Her body has been sent to the State Medical Examiner’s Office in Oklahoma City for an autopsy.
The one-year-old boy was taken into protective custody by the
Department of Human Services, officers said.
The investigation is still pending and more charges could be filed pending the autopsy report.