- Thorny skate will not be added to endangered species list
- U.S. Democrats pick Perez to lead party against Trump
- Pensioner dies after car driven into group of pedestrians in German city
- O'Shea: Italy needs support to make it strong in Six Nations
- Trump decides to skip White House press dinner
- 'I've won £200k in my Spanish property fight'
- Helen Bailey's killer's sons will inherit slice of fortune
- Hanky banky! Couple are caught having sex next to an ATM
- Man shot after driving vehicle into pedestrians in Germany
- Fury as memorial to Second World War airmen is vandalised
More from News
By Associated Press
Published: 22:04 EST, 13 October 2015 | Updated: 22:04 EST, 13 October 2015
HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — Vietnam on Wednesday slammed China over its construction of two lighthouses in the disputed South China Sea, saying the move violates Vietnam's sovereignty and escalates tensions.
Chinese state media reported last week that a completion ceremony was held for the lighthouses on Cuateron Reef and Johnson South Reef in the Spratly islands.
The state-run Vietnam News Agency quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Le Hai Binh as saying the construction "seriously violates Vietnam's sovereignty ... complicates the situation and escalates tensions."
He said Vietnam will protest China's actions.
Xinhua says the lighthouses will help improve navigation in the area.
China has launched a massive land reclamation project on reefs in the South China Sea over the last 18 months, raising concerns in the region and in the United States.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.