- Shoaib and Shadab lead Pakistan to opening win over Windies
- Lacklustre Romania held to goalless draw by Denmark
- Defoe scores on return for England in front of ill friend
- Ward and Washington on-target as Northern Ireland see off Norway
- The Latest: Kentucky, UNC have most combined tourney wins
- Police: Man Arrested After Gun Found In Stroller
- On Time: March 26, 2017
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Dances Off With Top Box Office Spot
- 46 Dogs Arrive In US From South Korea, Saved From Slaughter
- Court Rejects Appeal Of Ex-Grad Student Who Killed Friend
More from News
By Associated Press
Published: 22:04 EST, 13 October 2015 | Updated: 22:04 EST, 13 October 2015
HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — Vietnam on Wednesday slammed China over its construction of two lighthouses in the disputed South China Sea, saying the move violates Vietnam's sovereignty and escalates tensions.
Chinese state media reported last week that a completion ceremony was held for the lighthouses on Cuateron Reef and Johnson South Reef in the Spratly islands.
The state-run Vietnam News Agency quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Le Hai Binh as saying the construction "seriously violates Vietnam's sovereignty ... complicates the situation and escalates tensions."
He said Vietnam will protest China's actions.
Xinhua says the lighthouses will help improve navigation in the area.
China has launched a massive land reclamation project on reefs in the South China Sea over the last 18 months, raising concerns in the region and in the United States.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.