- Hospitality boss held in rio ticket touting probe 'set to be released'
- 'british boy executing prisoner' in is video
- Itv pulls plug as i am team gb campaign bids to get britain moving
- Rosberg takes pole at Belgian GP; Hamilton at the back
- M20 closed after lorry crash causes footbridge collapse
- Girl, nine, who died saving her five-year-old sister in Italy earthquake is one of the first 35 victims laid to rest in state funeral as bishop tells mourners: 'We will rebuild our houses - together'
- WHIPS used by sex killers Fred and Rose West go on display in crime museum
- Terminally-ill woman sees her unborn child for first time at Victoria hospital, Fife
- Nicki Minaj's brother given time to consider plea deal over child sex abuse charges
- Pep guardiola determined to get his message across at manchester city
More from Maryland
- Baltimore's newly revealed surveillance program raises legal questions
- Baltimore police confirms aerial surveillance of city residents
- Activists call for Facebook 'censorship' change after Korryn Gaines death
- Baltimore officers cited for mistreatment of women in DoJ report
- Justice department says Baltimore police 'violate constitution' – video
RICHMOND, Va. - Attorneys for a former University of Virginia lacrosse player convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend are asking a judge to reduce a jury's recommended sentence of 26 years, offering an appeal from his mother for leniency for her "beautiful son."
George W. Huguely V's attorneys are seeking a sentence of 14 years in the May 2010 slaying of Yeardley Love of suburban Baltimore, according to a filing Wednesday in Charlottesville Circuit Court. Jurors who convicted him of second-degree murder recommended 26 years, including 1 year for grand larceny.
The appeal came on the eve of Huguely's formal sentencing by Circuit Judge Edward Hogshire. He will not be bound Thursday by the jury's recommended sentence but judges in Virginia typically heed jurors sentencing recommendations.
The 24-year-old defendant was from Chevy Chase, Md.