- Louis walsh has everyone in a spin for x factor's six chair challenge
- FIFA disbands racism task force, says job done
- Las Vegas girlfriend gets revenge on 'cheating boyfriend' by tasering him in the crotch
- 'Gunman kills Jordanian writer' charged over anti-Islam cartoon
- 'They look like they were dressed in the 1950s!': The young Royals fail to impress Twitter users as they pull out all the stops to ensure they look picture perfect for their trip to Canada
- New report finds the biggest California water wasters are in Bel Air
- Bibi meets The Donald in NYC and tells him a thing or two about building a wall while Trump promises Netanyahu he will recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital if he is elected
- Pippa Middleton's hacking investigators arrest 35 year old man
- Patient with rare heart condition dies after asking doctors to turn off her pacemaker in the UK's 'first assisted dying' case
- Kate looks every inch the glamorous young royal as she and Wills leave Prince George and Princess Charlotte with their nanny while they enjoy a day in Vancouver
More from Baltimore
Reporting Meghan McCorkell
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsbully, Donald Shields, Donald Shields Kidnapping, Kidnapping, Tia Drakes
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A father has been charged with kidnapping after he confronted a student that was bullying his eight-year-old son. It all happened just steps from an elementary school. Now his family is fighting those charges. Meghan McCorkell spoke with them.
Donald Shields is behind bars, charged with kidnapping. Family members say he was just trying to take his son’s bully back to school so he could be identified by school staff.
Donald Shields, 33, has been accused of kidnapping after police say he chased down his son’s bully and locked him inside his car.
“It’s very unbelievable that he would even be accused of doing the things he’s doing,” said Tia Drakes, Shields’ fiancee.
Drakes says the story isn’t true. She says Shields saw three boys beating their eight-year-old son bloody outside Yorkwood Elementary. The kids ran but a block away, Shields saw one of the bullies, told him to get in the car and took him back to school.
“He just thought he was doing the right thing. He thought he was taking a child back to the safe haven that was the school,” Drakes said.
But the victim says Shields nearly hit him with his car, then locked him inside.
In charging documents obtained by our media partner, the Baltimore Sun, the victim says Shields cursed at him, saying, “Don’t [expletive] with my son,” then telling the boy to “get his [expletive] out of his car.”
Parents at the school say they are surprised by the incident, especially since the school has a strict anti-bullying policy.
“I’m shocked, actually, because she’s been here since pre-K and we’ve never had no problems. None,” said parent Diane Waters.
The sign even announces Bully Prevention Month.
Drakes says her fiance is a good father who would never kidnap a child.
“It’s hard. It’s hard to know that they’re accusing him of these things and he’s not that type of person,” she said.
Now she wants him free.
Drakes says at the time, one of the teachers thanked him for bringing the child back to school.
Some teachers have even written character letters to a judge on Shields’ behalf.
Shields is charged with kidnapping, second degree assault and false imprisonment. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for December 11.