- Kaepernick will sit through anthem until there's change
- Ariya Jutanugarn wins in Canada for 5th LPGA Tour title
- Endwell, New York, wins Little League World Series
- Women bare breasts for gender equality on GoTopless Day
- Beyonce to perform at MTV Video Music Awards
- The new breed of celebrity authors… Miranda and Monty’s dogs! Comedian and celebrity garden will go head to head as they publish books about their pets
- Ex-husband of accused murderer Sara Connor to visit her in her Bali prison cell
- Affairs of Ukip leadership hopeful who said: 'I've got no skeletons!' Favourite to win has been involved in the break-up of two marriages
- Burkini Britain: After the controversial French ban, this startling image from Brighton beach split UK opinion. But is it a symbol of repression or a sign of Muslim women's growing freedom?
- Mariah Carey's dying, HIV-positive sister Alison Carey arrested for prostitution
More from Baltimore
- Navy Gets $2.7B Attack Submarine Sponsored By Michelle Obama
- Scams & Waste Loom As Charity Millions Donated After Orlando
- Suspected DUI Driver Crashes Into Trooper’s Vehicle In Maryland
- Flying Dog Teams Up With Salazon to Create Pumpkin Beer Chocolate
- Gang ‘Field Marshal’ Sentenced to 2 Years In Prison
Reporting Gigi Barnett
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsBaltimore County Officer Shot, Off-Duty Police Officer Shot, Overlea Shooting, Police Officer Shot, Shooting
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
OVERLEA, Md. (WJZ) — An off-duty police officer was shot twice during a melee in a Baltimore County neighborhood. It happened in the early morning hours. Gigi Barnett reports the shooter is still on the loose.
Shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday morning, Baltimore County police say a driver approached the intersection of Dale and Kenwood avenues in Overlea but there was a large fight in the middle of the street. The driver stopped and asked the crowd to let him by. Police say that’s when someone pulled out a gun and shot the driver. The victim is a police officer, but he was off-duty at the time.
“There is no indication that anybody knew who he was,” said police spokesman Cpl. John Wachter. “It could have easily been anyone else driving their car down the street. `Hey, can you move? I’d like to get my car by’ and anybody could have been victim to that.”
Minutes after the shooting, Baltimore County police arrived on the scene and spotted the off-duty officer bleeding from two gunshot wounds. Medics rushed him to Shock Trauma. Investigators are not revealing his identity; detectives are searching for the shooter.
“Interviewing witnesses and people in the area. We’re asking everybody that might know something about the incident, something unusual in the area, to call our communications center,” Wachter said.
Neighbors believe the fight spilled over from a teen party that became violent.
Detectives believe that the shooting was random and not intended for the officer.
The off-duty officer was treated at Shock Trauma and later released.