- Adnan Syed asks for release from prison while he awaits retrial in Serial case
- Hong Kong jury views 'torture' video in Jutting murder trial
- Flames burn Blackhawks in shootout for second win
- Philippines' Duterte visits Japan after China tilt
- IAAF opts against Qatar bribery probe
- Hong Kong court sees chilling video describing torture
- Two Mayoral Candidates Look To Knock Democrats Off The Throne
- Police: DE Man Stabbed 2 Roommates, Surrendered To Police In MD
- Smithsonian Reaches Goal To Save Dorothy’s Ruby Slippers
- Atlantic City Belt-Tightening Plan Aims To Avoid Takeover
More from Baltimore
Reporting Gigi Barnett
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsBaltimore County Officer Shot, Off-Duty Police Officer Shot, Overlea Shooting, Police Officer Shot, Shooting
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
OVERLEA, Md. (WJZ) — An off-duty police officer was shot twice during a melee in a Baltimore County neighborhood. It happened in the early morning hours. Gigi Barnett reports the shooter is still on the loose.
Shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday morning, Baltimore County police say a driver approached the intersection of Dale and Kenwood avenues in Overlea but there was a large fight in the middle of the street. The driver stopped and asked the crowd to let him by. Police say that’s when someone pulled out a gun and shot the driver. The victim is a police officer, but he was off-duty at the time.
“There is no indication that anybody knew who he was,” said police spokesman Cpl. John Wachter. “It could have easily been anyone else driving their car down the street. `Hey, can you move? I’d like to get my car by’ and anybody could have been victim to that.”
Minutes after the shooting, Baltimore County police arrived on the scene and spotted the off-duty officer bleeding from two gunshot wounds. Medics rushed him to Shock Trauma. Investigators are not revealing his identity; detectives are searching for the shooter.
“Interviewing witnesses and people in the area. We’re asking everybody that might know something about the incident, something unusual in the area, to call our communications center,” Wachter said.
Neighbors believe the fight spilled over from a teen party that became violent.
Detectives believe that the shooting was random and not intended for the officer.
The off-duty officer was treated at Shock Trauma and later released.