- Paris: School chief injured as teens protest police violence
- Police chief `calls for counselling and rehab for lower level paedophiles´
- To secure Mosul, Iraq army makes desert push with US help
- Japan's Emperor Akihito on first-ever visit to Vietnam
- Maryland JCC One Of Multiple Centers To Receive Bomb Threat Monday
- City Schools Face Largest Budget Gap In History, Mayor Asks Gov. For Help
- Maryland Senate Nixes Opt-Out Bill On Animal Dissections
- Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson's home is demolished
- Nigel Farage calls for Ukip's only MP to be kicked out
- UK’s ‘oldest Iron Age gold' is revealed
More from Virginia
Crews have reopened the right and center lanes on Interstate 95 at the Lombardy Street Bridge, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.
An old bridge pier was demolished but could not be removed last night, forcing officials to reduce traffic lanes until the span could be made safe. Backups extended for miles through the morning rush hour and beyond.
Motorists will notice a planned right lane closure near Hermitage Road, VDOT said. That work is unrelated to the bridge reconstructon work.
Crews are almost ready to reopen the right and center lanes on Interstate 95 at the Lombardy Street Bridge, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation. An old pier was demolished but could not be removed last night, forcing officials to reduce traffic lanes until the span could be made safe.
Mileslong traffic jams have been place through the morning rush hour.
Motorists are encountering major delays as they approach Richmond on Interstate 95 south this morning as a problem with overnight bridge construction narrowed to traffic to one lane through part of the city.
The work is expected to continue through 10 a.m. as traffic has backed up at least five miles on I-95 and I-64 eastbound into the city, according to the Virginia Department of Transportation.
One motorist reported leaving western Henrico at 7:15 a.m. and an hour later remained stuck in traffic near the Acca railroad yards.
The right and center lanes of Interstate 95 south at Lombardy Street in Richmond (mile marker 77) remain closed because of bridge work, VDOT says.
Local traffic is encouraged to use U.S. 1 south to avoid the area. Through travelers should use I-295 south.
VDOT said crews were demolishing a pier cap under the bridge overnight but had problems removing the section. Temporary supports were put into place but they aren't designed to handle all lanes of traffic. Once the work is finished, the lanes will be reopened.
VDOT adds that because the work is going on underneath the bridge, drivers won't be able to see the problem as they go past.