- South Carolina mom claims high school teacher told her son 'to go back to Africa'
- Snapchat users watch more than 10 BILLION videos every day
- Woman arrested in France after she asked police officers to check the purity of her cocaine as 'she didn't want people to die of an overdose'
- German government spooks need to spy on mosques, says Merkel ally
- 'I can't be thin': 'Chubby girl' who works out SIX TIMES a week hits back at critics who label her 'unhealthy' and 'unfit' because she doesn't look like an 'Instagram fitness star'
- Hair today, gone tomorrow! Student caught on camera chopping off TWO FEET of her waist-length blonde locks to donate to a children's wig charity
- 'Violated' family claim drone hovered outside teenage daughter's bedroom at night - but police won't investigate because it didn't land on their property
- Dog stuck by three-year-old owner after youngster got lost in woods for NINE hours - after which police charged his parents with neglect and possession of cannabis
- The digs keep coming: Kelly Ripa asks Michael Strahan about his DIVORCES one day after joking about contract negotiations in front of the departing host
- Japan's space agency abandons the search for its missing X-ray satellite
More from Recipes
- Healthy zero-carb Cloud Bread made from four ingredients is unveiled
- Chocolate cake recipe without eggs, milk or butter or even a mixing bowl
- Subway's $5 foot-long meal deal now costs $6 - to customers' fury
- McDonald's fixed customers' top complaint — and now sales are soaring
- Chipotle is frantically changing how it makes food so it will stop making people sick
Chorizo Mac and Cheese Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutesCook time: 50 minutes
We used El Mexicano brand chorizo for this recipe, as it is very soft, almost like a pâté. It integrates with the sauce better than other styles of Mexican chorizo. This recipe makes a small casserole, you can easily double the ingredients for a large casserole.
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon corn starch
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
4 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese (about 1 cup)
6 ounces Mexican chorizo
1/2 cup minced red onion
2 Tbsp flour
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 Tbsp breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp butter
1 Mix the corn starch with the 2 cheeses in a bowl and set aside. The corn starch will help prevent the cheese sauce from getting too stringy.
2 Put the milk into a small saucepan and heat until steamy. Keep warm while you are preparing the recipe, do not let boil.
3 Put 2 quarts of water, salted with 1 Tbsp salt, into a large pot and heat to a boil. Once the water is at a full boil, add the macaroni to the pot. Return to a boil, and cook, uncovered, for about 2 minutes less than the macaroni package specifies, so that it is al dente, cooked, but still firm to the bite.
4 While the water is heating and the macaroni cooking, prepare the chorizo cheese sauce. Remove chorizo from its casing and put into a medium thick-bottomed saucepan on medium high heat. When the chorizo begins to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium. Cook the chorizo, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the minced red onion and cook the mixture until the onions soften, about 3-4 minutes.
5 When the macaroni is cooked, but still a bit firm, drain it and set aside. Preheat oven to 375°.
6 Add the flour to the pot with the chorizo and mix well. Everything will clump up. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pot, for 2 minutes. Add the hot milk a tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly. When all the milk has been added, heat the mixture to a gentle simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
7 Mix the grated cheese into the chorizo milk sauce. Mix in the cooked macaroni into the chorizo cheese sauce. Stir in the lime juice. Pour the macaroni and cheese into a small casserole dish. Make sure the top is level. Dust the top with the breadcrumbs, then dot with the butter. Bake until the breadcrumbs are golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
If you want, serve with chopped avocados, crema fresca, and chopped fresh cilantro.
Yield: Serves 4.