- Sam allardyce will be back - richard bevan
- Jose mourinho fearing worst over eric bailly knee injury
- Impressive Sevilla hands Atletico its 1st loss in Spain
- Looking past Trump, Clinton aims to help other Democrats
- South Africa's Sundowns win African Champions League
- Police watchdog to probe 'botched investigation' after family of an engaged serviceman found hanged in his room after having sex with another man insist he did not commit suicide
- Canal-mad Tim and Pru really are the nation's favourite grandparents: CHRISTOPHER STEVENS reviews last weekend's TV
- Duffy London launches flat-pack mobile shelters that take less than an hour to build
- Armed police detain man in Northolt after three DAY siege of house 'filled with petrol bombs'
- Dad's Army creator Jimmy Perry has died aged 93
More from Recipes
- Would YOU eat this? Man creates 54,000 calorie fast food birthday cake, filled with six cheeseburgers, fries, nuggets, three large pizzas and a KFC Family Feast
- McDonald's fixed customers' top complaint — and now sales are soaring
- Chipotle is frantically changing how it makes food so it will stop making people sick
- The Inside Story Of How A Food Startup Cracked
- Anthony Bourdain Admits Mistake on 'Frito Pie'
Chorizo Mac and Cheese Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutesCook time: 50 minutes
We used El Mexicano brand chorizo for this recipe, as it is very soft, almost like a pâté. It integrates with the sauce better than other styles of Mexican chorizo. This recipe makes a small casserole, you can easily double the ingredients for a large casserole.
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon corn starch
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
4 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese (about 1 cup)
6 ounces Mexican chorizo
1/2 cup minced red onion
2 Tbsp flour
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 Tbsp breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp butter
1 Mix the corn starch with the 2 cheeses in a bowl and set aside. The corn starch will help prevent the cheese sauce from getting too stringy.
2 Put the milk into a small saucepan and heat until steamy. Keep warm while you are preparing the recipe, do not let boil.
3 Put 2 quarts of water, salted with 1 Tbsp salt, into a large pot and heat to a boil. Once the water is at a full boil, add the macaroni to the pot. Return to a boil, and cook, uncovered, for about 2 minutes less than the macaroni package specifies, so that it is al dente, cooked, but still firm to the bite.
4 While the water is heating and the macaroni cooking, prepare the chorizo cheese sauce. Remove chorizo from its casing and put into a medium thick-bottomed saucepan on medium high heat. When the chorizo begins to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium. Cook the chorizo, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the minced red onion and cook the mixture until the onions soften, about 3-4 minutes.
5 When the macaroni is cooked, but still a bit firm, drain it and set aside. Preheat oven to 375°.
6 Add the flour to the pot with the chorizo and mix well. Everything will clump up. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pot, for 2 minutes. Add the hot milk a tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly. When all the milk has been added, heat the mixture to a gentle simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
7 Mix the grated cheese into the chorizo milk sauce. Mix in the cooked macaroni into the chorizo cheese sauce. Stir in the lime juice. Pour the macaroni and cheese into a small casserole dish. Make sure the top is level. Dust the top with the breadcrumbs, then dot with the butter. Bake until the breadcrumbs are golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
If you want, serve with chopped avocados, crema fresca, and chopped fresh cilantro.
Yield: Serves 4.