- IS forcing children, disabled into suicide cars: US general
- Former Jets player Mersereau charged with attacking teen
- Sessions: US to continue use of privately run prisons
- CANADA STOCKS-TSX extends pull back from record high to hit a 10-day low
- British police make fresh arrest in fixing probe
- 3 Hospitalized, Including 2 Teens, After Broad Daylight Shooting In Brooklyn
- The Hard Truth With Ed Norris Covers Travel Ban, International Terrorism & More
- Student Held After Bringing Gun To His High School
- Teen Arrested For Swastika Graffiti Cases, Burglary
- Orioles’ Adam Jones Wants Deeper Postseason Run
More from Recipes
Pasta with Tuna and Tomato Sauce Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Tuna packed in olive oil is highly recommended for this recipe. If all you have is tuna packed in water, you can try draining it and then adding olive oil to the can, and letting it soak in the olive oil in the fridge for several hours, but you will get the best results if you start with tuna packed in oil.
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 28-ounce can of tomatoes, whole or crushed
1 pound pasta shells
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 6-ounce can tuna packed in olive oil
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped or torn
A generous 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Melt the butter in a medium pot on medium heat and add the can of tomatoes, including the juice. If you are using whole canned tomatoes (or fresh ones) crush them with your (clean) fingers as you put them in the pot. Simmer gently, partially covered, for 30 minutes.
2 Once the sauce is cooking, heat a large pot of well salted water to a strong boil. Add the shell pasta to the boiling water and cook at a vigorous boil, uncovered, until al dente, cooked through but still a bit firm to the bite, which is usually whatever the time specified on the pasta package minus about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3 Pour off the excess oil from the tuna can and stir the tuna into the tomato sauce. Add the ricotta cheese, and add salt to taste. Turn off the heat. Mix the sauce with the pasta in a large bowl. Mix in the basil.
4 Pour the pasta into a 2 to 3-quart casserole dish and top with the parmesan cheese. Put under a hot broiler for 4-6 minutes, until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve hot.
Yield: Serves 6-8.