- Etoile Sahel win the African Confederation Cup
- Andy Murray gives Britain Davis Cup title after 79 years
- Declaring a new start, EU and Turkey set to sign migration deal
- 'No more baby parts': Reclusive suspect's words draw focus
- Nico Rosberg wins season-closing Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- AP Interview: Iraqi envoy: Paris attack marks new global war
- Thousands stage anti-govt protest in Moldova
- Willy caballero: manchester city learned from liverpool defeat
- Charl schwartzel demonstrates his liking for leopard creek with dunhill success
- Lennox lewis warns tyson fury: you must be a role model now you're a champion
More from Recipes
- The new meat rules: As experts warn it increases the chance of cancer, we reveal which types are the riskiest...
- Hot dog makers and sellers shake off WHO's processed meat's link to cancer
- Bacon, burgers and sausages 'are as big a cancer threat as cigarettes,' global health chiefs declare
- Why knowing basic cooking skills is essential, Lorraine Candy writes
- The ingredients you should be eating to boost your health including pumpkins and cinnamon
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
If you are using frozen shrimp, defrost them by placing them in a bowl of ice water or cold water. Adding a little salt to the water will help the shrimp retain their briny flavor.
Add to shopping list
2 Tbsp high smoke point oil such as grape seed oil, or canola oil
1-2 Serrano chiles, sliced into thin rings
1-2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1-2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Place a large sauté pan or a wok over your strongest burner on high heat. Let the pan heat up for a minute and then add the oil. Use a high smoke point oil since you will be cooking the shrimp on very high heat. Let the oil heat until it's shimmering. If it starts to smoke, remove the pan from the heat for a moment.
2 Add the chiles to the pan and toss to coat with oil. Cook 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and garlic to the pan and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat with oil. Let the shrimp cook undisturbed for 1 minute before tossing again so they get a little bit of a sear. Stir-fry until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
3 Turn off the heat and mix in the cilantro, then the lime juice.
Serve hot or at room temperature. Serve alone, over rice, or in a folded heated flour or corn tortilla.
Yield: Serves 3-4.