- Cancer sufferer collects 1,500 'beads of courage' for every procedure in hospital
- UK weather sees Britain shiver as Valentine's Day brings coldest night in 4 years
- Machines could make half of humans unemployed in 30 years
- Fears that hand grenades will be thrown at funerals of Dublin's gang murders
- Harper Beckham shows off her style credentials in cute little black dress as she joins father David and brothers on the front row of Victoria's fashion show
- Cuba returns dummy Hellfire missile mistakenly received
- Whole Foods considers adding tattoo parlors to its stores in bid to attract millennials
- Hillary Clinton mocks GOP for 'non-stop bickering' in Saturday's Republican debate
- 150,000 Antarctica penguins die after iceberg grounded in breeding grounds
- Tens of thousands of SHARKS seen migrating near Florida's Palm Beach
More from Recipes
- Healthy zero-carb Cloud Bread made from four ingredients is unveiled
- Chocolate cake recipe without eggs, milk or butter or even a mixing bowl
- Subway's $5 foot-long meal deal now costs $6 - to customers' fury
- McDonald's fixed customers' top complaint — and now sales are soaring
- The 2016 gadgets that promise to revolutionise your kitchen
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
If you are using frozen shrimp, defrost them by placing them in a bowl of ice water or cold water. Adding a little salt to the water will help the shrimp retain their briny flavor.
Add to shopping list
2 Tbsp high smoke point oil such as grape seed oil, or canola oil
1-2 Serrano chiles, sliced into thin rings
1-2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1-2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Place a large sauté pan or a wok over your strongest burner on high heat. Let the pan heat up for a minute and then add the oil. Use a high smoke point oil since you will be cooking the shrimp on very high heat. Let the oil heat until it's shimmering. If it starts to smoke, remove the pan from the heat for a moment.
2 Add the chiles to the pan and toss to coat with oil. Cook 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and garlic to the pan and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat with oil. Let the shrimp cook undisturbed for 1 minute before tossing again so they get a little bit of a sear. Stir-fry until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
3 Turn off the heat and mix in the cilantro, then the lime juice.
Serve hot or at room temperature. Serve alone, over rice, or in a folded heated flour or corn tortilla.
Yield: Serves 3-4.