- Turkey releases 758 detained soldiers as Erdogan drops lawsuits
- Putin tests West's sanctions resolve on visit to Slovenia
- World number one Ko will not be staying at Olympic Village
- Former governor, WWII ambassador to Britain getting his due
- States' flag-burning laws unconstitutional, but persist
- Ex-Home Office drugs policy adviser admits taking his boyfriend's drugs
- Recep Erdogan cancels 50,000 passports in latest post-coup crackdown in Turkey
- Sacked hotel staff offer to work for FREE after being told they had to cancel couple's wedding
- Tradesman rush to finish venues for the Rio Olympics DAYS before the Games begin
- Road rage driver has a meltdown in Mexico City after stopping on zebra crossing
More from Recipes
Grilled Romaine Lettuce Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
What are romaine hearts? Just the inner leaves of romaine lettuce that stay somewhat tightly together, not the outer leaves.
3 to 4 romaine hearts
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 Prep the romaine hearts—pull off any old leaves. Chop off the top 1 or 2 inches of the lettuce head, and shave off the browned part of the root end, leaving the root end intact so that the lettuce head stays together.
2 Prepare your grill for high, direct heat. Paint the lettuce hearts all over with the vinaigrette. Prepare the vinaigrette. Put the oil, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
3 Grill the romaine hearts until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
Serve immediately. You can either serve the hearts whole, or chop them and toss them for a salad.
Yield: Serves 3-4.