- Iowa city braces for highest floodwaters since 2008 record
- The Latest: Attorney: Campaign chief didn't know about plot
- US hits Chinese firm with sanctions over N. Korea trade
- Labor Dept launches review of all Wells Fargo complaints
- Brazil miner Samarco misses payment on bond, trustee bank says
- Moderator Lester Holt Under Scrutiny During Debate
- WEATHER BLOG: Cold Front Arriving
- “Pay What You Want Day” Returns to Nat’l Aquarium
- Orioles Announce Postseason Ticket Options
- Hubble Spies Possible Water Plumes Spewing From Jupiter Moon
More from Recipes
- Would YOU eat this? Man creates 54,000 calorie fast food birthday cake, filled with six cheeseburgers, fries, nuggets, three large pizzas and a KFC Family Feast
- McDonald's fixed customers' top complaint — and now sales are soaring
- Chipotle is frantically changing how it makes food so it will stop making people sick
- The Inside Story Of How A Food Startup Cracked
- Anthony Bourdain Admits Mistake on 'Frito Pie'
Grilled Romaine Lettuce Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
What are romaine hearts? Just the inner leaves of romaine lettuce that stay somewhat tightly together, not the outer leaves.
3 to 4 romaine hearts
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 Prep the romaine hearts—pull off any old leaves. Chop off the top 1 or 2 inches of the lettuce head, and shave off the browned part of the root end, leaving the root end intact so that the lettuce head stays together.
2 Prepare your grill for high, direct heat. Paint the lettuce hearts all over with the vinaigrette. Prepare the vinaigrette. Put the oil, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
3 Grill the romaine hearts until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
Serve immediately. You can either serve the hearts whole, or chop them and toss them for a salad.
Yield: Serves 3-4.