- David Cameron will order ISIS leaders to be killed if MPs vote to support airstrikes in Syria and top of the hit list is mastermind behind Paris bombings
- UK weather forecast predicts SNOW today as storm Clodagh hits Britain
- Woburn Abbey's Luminaries event flops as customers seek refunds
- CCTV footage shows shocking moment Finsbury Park mosque is targeted in a suspected arson attack after Molotov cocktail was thrown
- Shocking moment police calls vigilante victim a 'pain in the ass' after arresting him when he called for help from neighbours who later beat him to death and set him alight
- Showing her face again! Ronda Rousey spotted with a smile on Thanksgiving in LA... after laying low following brutal UFC knockout by Holly Holm
- Catholic Diocese investigate 'bleeding' communion wafer being hailed as miracle at Utah church
- Je Suis Paris: The world's biggest sports stars from David Beckham to Mo Farah and Rafael Nadal come together in moving video to pay tribute to Paris
- Police rush to Sinead O'Connor's hotel room after she posted 'suicide note' on Facebook: Singer claims to have overdosed and is having treatment
- Upcoming Star Wars film will feature new character R2-KT, a father's touching gift to his daughter who died of a brain tumor
More from Recipes
- The new meat rules: As experts warn it increases the chance of cancer, we reveal which types are the riskiest...
- Hot dog makers and sellers shake off WHO's processed meat's link to cancer
- Bacon, burgers and sausages 'are as big a cancer threat as cigarettes,' global health chiefs declare
- Why knowing basic cooking skills is essential, Lorraine Candy writes
- The ingredients you should be eating to boost your health including pumpkins and cinnamon
Original recipe makes 1 - 3 layer 8 inch round cake
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
2 cups white sugar
5 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 egg whites
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 inch pans. Combine the buttermilk, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Stir in pineapple, coconut and 1 cup pecans.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake layers to cool 10 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until blended. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 cup pecans. If frosting is too stiff to spread, stir in milk a teaspoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency.