- Buenos Aires nightclubs ordered closed by judge after drug deaths
- One dead, one missing after fishing boat sinks off west wales
- Prince Harry gets the queen, Obamas to plug Invictus Games
- Stars turn out for funeral of 'unforgettable' music producer david gest
- Now THAT'S German efficiency! Impressive video shows motorists politely clearing autobahn as emergency vehicles race to an accident
- Deer skull and antlers which are 4,000 YEARS old are found by walkers on beach where storms uncovered ancient forest
- Queen's reaction after Obamas lay down gauntlet to Prince Harry over Invictus Games
- Kensington & Chelsea tops 'parking space squeeze' table as 4x4s take over roads
- Norway helicopter crash kills 11 people including Briton
- South Carolina mom claims high school teacher told her son 'to go back to Africa'
More from Recipes
- Healthy zero-carb Cloud Bread made from four ingredients is unveiled
- Chocolate cake recipe without eggs, milk or butter or even a mixing bowl
- Subway's $5 foot-long meal deal now costs $6 - to customers' fury
- McDonald's fixed customers' top complaint — and now sales are soaring
- Chipotle is frantically changing how it makes food so it will stop making people sick
Original recipe makes 1 - 3 layer 8 inch round cake
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
2 cups white sugar
5 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 egg whites
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 inch pans. Combine the buttermilk, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Stir in pineapple, coconut and 1 cup pecans.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake layers to cool 10 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until blended. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 cup pecans. If frosting is too stiff to spread, stir in milk a teaspoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency.