- Willy wonka actor gene wilder dies aged 83
- 3 hurt as suicide bomber hits Chinese Embassy in Kyrgyzstan
- David cameron 'increased some special advisers' pay by up to 24% in 2015'
- U.S.-led coalition planes hit Islamic State in north Syria - Turkish military
- European shares rise as doubts linger over September U.S. rate hike
- RICHARD LITTLEJOHN says it is up to the French to solve the crisis in Calais
- Armed police in Pagham in stand-off with pensioner believed to have a gun
- GP Lisa Steen who died of cancer criticises colleagues in blog post
- Comedian and author Mandy Nolan claims Botox should be banned not the burka
- India tells female tourists NOT to wear skirts as country attempts to tackle gang-rape
More from Recipes
- Would YOU eat this? Man creates 54,000 calorie fast food birthday cake, filled with six cheeseburgers, fries, nuggets, three large pizzas and a KFC Family Feast
- McDonald's fixed customers' top complaint — and now sales are soaring
- Chipotle is frantically changing how it makes food so it will stop making people sick
- The Inside Story Of How A Food Startup Cracked
- Anthony Bourdain Admits Mistake on 'Frito Pie'
Original recipe makes 1 - 3 layer 8 inch round cake
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
2 cups white sugar
5 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 egg whites
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 inch pans. Combine the buttermilk, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Stir in pineapple, coconut and 1 cup pecans.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake layers to cool 10 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until blended. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 cup pecans. If frosting is too stiff to spread, stir in milk a teaspoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency.