- Serial Case: Closing Arguments Wrap In Syed Hearing
- Local Music Venue 9:30 Club Announces New TV Show
- Behind The Song: Chris Stapleton- “Traveller”
- Elementary School Volunteer Admits To Making Child Porn
- Google To Begin Testing Self-Driving Cars In Washington
- Listen Live: Bowie State At Maryland [Live Audio] College Basketball
- Most Maryland Counties Now Out Of Snow Days
- Md. Man Doesn’t Understand Why Cruise Captain Disregarded Weather Warnings
- Friend Says Slain Teen Talked Of Running Away With Defendant
- Harford Co. Reverses Decision To Cancel City School Trips
More from Sports
- Alexandre Pato's girlfriend Fiorella Mattheis goes house hunting in London as Chelsea striker awaits first-team opportunity
- Lionel Messi keen to meet Afghan kid who dressed as Barcelona star in plastic bag
- Australian Open: Great Britain's Gordon Reid wins wheelchair singles title in Melbourne
- Made in Chelsea's Sam Thompson racks up £24,000 bar bill on wild night out with cast mates
- Transfer news LIVE: Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal latest PLUS all Saturday's done deals
MIAMI — The big Tim Tebow news last week was that he hasn’t ruled out running for political office someday.
The continuing Tebow news Sunday was that he has ruled out ever becoming a real NFL quarterback.
He was a runner, a blocker, a decoy, a cheerleader and tried to be a receiver against the Dolphins. The one pass thrown his way caromed off his helmet before he knew what hit him.
“I wasn’t expecting it that quick,” Tebow said. “I guess I’ll learn.”
What everybody’s learning is he made a bad career move in the off-season. That’s assuming Tebow wanted to be more than the most publicized sideshow in NFL history.
He says he wants to become the genuine pro quarterback item. I believe him, mainly because Tebow is incapable of lying.
Like millions of others, I have serious doubts that he’ll ever develop the required passing skills. But it’s obvious he’ll never do it in New York.
To become a passer, you have to pass. He’s doing everything except that with the Jets.
Tebow has thrown zero passes in three games. It appears the Jets would rather have Michael Bloomberg throw the ball than Tebow. Even worse, they’d prefer Mark Sanchez.
He wasn’t awful in the 23-20 overtime win. He was just his usual erratic Sanchez self. Erratic enough to make you pull all your hair out, and just good enough to get the Jets beaten by good teams.
The Dolphins aren’t a good team, and New York was lucky to win. Now the Jets face San Francisco and Houston. They’ll probably have to do it without Darrelle Revis, who was carted off with a knee injury Sunday.
Maybe Tebow can play cornerback.
“All that matters is that we get wins,” he said.
Tebow would never criticize the way he’s being used. He lost that right, anyway, when he engineered a trade to the Jets. He should have pushed to go where his passing ability might be honed.
Tebow will never be a standard-issue pocket passer. That would be a waste of his rambunctious running style. But he needs a zillion reps in practice and few snaps in the game.
He got those in Denver, and he might have gotten them if he’d taken the trade to Jacksonville. Any chance of losing that Jim Furyk-like delivery has been junked in New York.
If you didn’t know better, you’d think Rex Ryan brought him just to lead the league in hype. Last week was fruitful.
There were headlines when Tebow casually mentioned he might run for office. He’d have my vote for president as long as Santonio Holmes isn’t his Secretary of State.
Then Miami receiver Brian Hartline stirred things up when he compared Tebow mania to America’s Kardashian addiction.
“I don’t know what they did, either,” Hartline said.
Kim did a sex tape. Or was it Khloe? Whichever, you can be sure Tebow will never stoop to that. Being in New York, he won’t have to.
The move has been great for promoting the Tebow brand. He gained five yards on a fake punt Sunday, and it probably made every highlight show in America. But the Jets even seem unsure how to use their gadget.
When they had a first-and-goal from the 1, it seemed like the ideal Tebow Time. The Wildcat formation never appeared. Neither did a touchdown.
Sanchez had a chance at one. He made a nice move dodging one rusher. Then as he fell down, he made a Sanchez move by overthrowing a wide-open receiver.
If any of this New York quarterback mess bothers Tebow, he’ll never admit it. But ever since he walked off Florida’s campus, his stated goal has been to develop into a full-time NFL quarterback.
The way that’s going, Khloe Kardashian will be president first.