- Police chief 'punched his chief constable at barbecue after finding out he was having an affair with his high-ranking officer wife'
- Qaeda threatens attacks on homes of Yemeni forces
- $2.4M Makeover Slated for Western District Police Station
- Report: John Kasich To Suspend Presidential Campaign
- Aeropostale Closing 113 Stores, Including Two In Maryland
- Listen Live: Orioles Vs Yankees [Live Audio] MLB
- Auction House: Largest Rough Diamond In Existence Could Go For $70 Million
- Jim Nantz On Wells Fargo Championship: ‘Has A Big-Time Feel To It’
- Former Oriole Dave Johnson Talks Moving Machado To Shortstop
- Charges Pending Against Man After Chemical Spray Incident At Towson Town Cntr.
More from Travel
- Terrifying footage shows reckless dirt bike rider pulling wheelies and riding on wrong side of road in two-hour police chase
- Terrified passengers forced to wear oxygen masks following drop in cabin pressure on flight to New York
- Check Out The 18 Most Dangerous Roads In The World
- Guest's horror as she spots a hidden camera while taking a shower in a Travelodge room: Management 'claimed device was for maintenance purposes
- How migrants benefit European economies
WHERE'S YOUR FAVOURITE HOLIDAY DESTINATION?
I always say the next place I’m going. But, if I had to choose it would be the Swiss Alps, near lovely Murren.
WHAT ARE THE BEST THINGS TO DO THERE?
The last time we went we had no snow, but there were beautiful waist-high flowers everywhere, and the Jungfrau mountains to gaze upon.
We stayed while I filmed On Her
Majesty’s Secret Service, and did lots and lots of walking in that beautiful clean, Alpine air.
IN WHICH COUNTRY DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
My home, Stockwell, South London. I doubt we will ever move. I
grew up in the Far East, and fell in love with this country when we first arrived. That love has never waned.
DOES TRAVEL INSPIRE YOU?
Of course. I’ve seen incredible, elegant sights, then the sort of poverty that would stay with anyone for ever. In particular, in the Sudanese desert where houses are made of sticks and mud.
Some people in the UK say they are poor but I don’t think anyone in this country could live in the kind of poverty I’ve seen. You maintain a perspective after witnessing something like that.
IDEAL TRAVEL COMPANION?
Well I don’t like dour travellers or people who moan. I need someone who’s interested; courteous and enthusiastic.
WHAT IS THE BEST JOURNEY YOU HAVE EVER TAKEN?
A ride up the hillside from Paro in Bhutan on a pony towards a little pagoda. It was high up on a mountain side and I could see a monastery clinging to the rocks. It paints a wonderful memory.
WHERE ARE YOU THINKING OF TRAVELLING NEXT?
Somewhere in Central Europe possibly; I find that area fascinating. Or maybe Iran.
WHAT DO YOU NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT?
A huge shawl. It has so many uses; you can wrap it around you on cold nights or fold it into a pillow if you’re sleeping on the move. It’s a necessity.
WHAT'S YOUR EARLIEST HOLIDAY MEMORY?
Wearing a cardigan for the first time on Fraser’s Hill in Kuala Lumpur. We travelled there by armoured car and suddenly, we were surrounded by tall trees and monkeys — a world away from the sweltering city.