- Fox News' Ed Henry returning in new role after 4 months off
- Premiership chief executive does not like the idea of international breakaway
- Lewis hamilton targets belgian grand prix win despite engine penalty
- Manchester city face 'very tough' task after landing barcelona and celtic tests
- Cristiano ronaldo wins uefa best player in europe award
- Orioles Need Tillman Healthy, Davis To Keep Crushin’
- Salisbury Target Store Evacuated After Bomb Threat
- BWI Set A New Record For Passengers In June
- Maryland Announces Men’s Basketball 2016-17 Schedule
- Fire Marshal Probes Fiery Blast That Destroyed Rural Home
More from Travel
- Skiathos airport draws tourists who stand under planes as they land
- Travellers reveal the strangest things they've ever seen on a cruise
- Terrifying footage shows reckless dirt bike rider pulling wheelies and riding on wrong side of road in two-hour police chase
- Check Out The 18 Most Dangerous Roads In The World
- Guest's horror as she spots a hidden camera while taking a shower in a Travelodge room: Management 'claimed device was for maintenance purposes
WHERE'S YOUR FAVOURITE HOLIDAY DESTINATION?
I always say the next place I’m going. But, if I had to choose it would be the Swiss Alps, near lovely Murren.
WHAT ARE THE BEST THINGS TO DO THERE?
The last time we went we had no snow, but there were beautiful waist-high flowers everywhere, and the Jungfrau mountains to gaze upon.
We stayed while I filmed On Her
Majesty’s Secret Service, and did lots and lots of walking in that beautiful clean, Alpine air.
IN WHICH COUNTRY DO YOU FEEL MOST AT HOME?
My home, Stockwell, South London. I doubt we will ever move. I
grew up in the Far East, and fell in love with this country when we first arrived. That love has never waned.
DOES TRAVEL INSPIRE YOU?
Of course. I’ve seen incredible, elegant sights, then the sort of poverty that would stay with anyone for ever. In particular, in the Sudanese desert where houses are made of sticks and mud.
Some people in the UK say they are poor but I don’t think anyone in this country could live in the kind of poverty I’ve seen. You maintain a perspective after witnessing something like that.
IDEAL TRAVEL COMPANION?
Well I don’t like dour travellers or people who moan. I need someone who’s interested; courteous and enthusiastic.
WHAT IS THE BEST JOURNEY YOU HAVE EVER TAKEN?
A ride up the hillside from Paro in Bhutan on a pony towards a little pagoda. It was high up on a mountain side and I could see a monastery clinging to the rocks. It paints a wonderful memory.
WHERE ARE YOU THINKING OF TRAVELLING NEXT?
Somewhere in Central Europe possibly; I find that area fascinating. Or maybe Iran.
WHAT DO YOU NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT?
A huge shawl. It has so many uses; you can wrap it around you on cold nights or fold it into a pillow if you’re sleeping on the move. It’s a necessity.
WHAT'S YOUR EARLIEST HOLIDAY MEMORY?
Wearing a cardigan for the first time on Fraser’s Hill in Kuala Lumpur. We travelled there by armoured car and suddenly, we were surrounded by tall trees and monkeys — a world away from the sweltering city.