- Shoaib and Shadab lead Pakistan to opening win over Windies
- Lacklustre Romania held to goalless draw by Denmark
- Defoe scores on return for England in front of ill friend
- Ward and Washington on-target as Northern Ireland see off Norway
- The Latest: Kentucky, UNC have most combined tourney wins
- Police: Man Arrested After Gun Found In Stroller
- On Time: March 26, 2017
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Dances Off With Top Box Office Spot
- 46 Dogs Arrive In US From South Korea, Saved From Slaughter
- Court Rejects Appeal Of Ex-Grad Student Who Killed Friend
More from Travel
- Intrepid Travel received more than 7,000 submissions from 3,000 photographers in its annual photo contest
- Sujan Sarkar won the competition with his breathtaking snap of children playing at a river in Cooch Behar, India
- Other stunning submissions included shots of child monks, a mountain in Switzerland and a cold monkey
A stunning snap showing children playing with an umbrella in ankle-deep water has been named the year’s best travel photograph.
The riverside shot was taken by photographer Sujan Sarkar in Cooch Behar, India, where he came across the youngsters as they splashed water at each other and leaped off a log.
Mr Sarkar’s photo is backlit by ‘subtle whimsy and moody colours’, helping him to earn the top gong in Intrepid Travel’s annual photo contest.
The Melbourne-based adventure travel company said it received more than 7,000 submissions from 3,000 photographers from all over the world.
The competition was stiff, with Mr Sarkar’s photo being picked ahead of spectacular shots of child monks in Bagan, Myanmar, a soaked monkey clinging to a rock in Japan, and a mud-splattered man participating in a bull race in Padang, Indonesia.
Other stunning snaps include a fearless man taking part in a land diving ritual in Vanuatu and the breathtaking mountain scenery at Bachalpsee Lake in Switzerland.
For winning the contest, Mr Sarkar receives bragging rights and AUD$3,000 (approximately £1,400 or USD$2,200) worth of travel.
Finalist Scott Laird had two photos that made Intrepid's short list, including this snap of child monks at Bagan, Myanmar
This incredible image of a cold and wet monkey emerging from the water and clinging to a rock was snapped in Japan by Michael Haikal
The Taj Mahal, in Agra, India, served as the stunning backdrop for this image of a man sweeping the floor, taken by Matt Sims
Sam Creek travelled to Vanuatu to photograph land diving, where men jump off wooden towers with their ankles wrapped in vines
Genevieve Schneider snapped this stunning mountain scene at Bachalpsee Lake, a popular hiking spot for visitors to Switzerland
Photographer Scott Laird's second photo to be named a finalist shows child monks running at Mingun Temple in Cambodia
This photo by Chee Keong Lim shows a mud-splattered man racing two bulls in a traditional race at Padang, Indonesia
Tourist Larissa Grieves captured this mesmerising shot, showing water reflecting off the top of a bridge, on a canal in Venice, Italy
Intrepid Travel received more than 7,000 submissions, including this amazing snap by Allister Munro in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Sunrise proved to be an opportune time for Pradeep Raja, who photographed this cow herd walking through the fog at Bagan, Myanmar