- Egyptian women's rights advocate Azza Soliman freed on bail
- Sweden joins dash to host EU drugs agency instead of London after Brexit
- European Tour Hong Kong Open scores
- The Latest: ICRC and Red Crescent evacuate 148 from Aleppo
- Danish lawmaker: Warning shots should be fired at migrants
- Cancer patient who lost most of his penis takes legal action against Southend Hospital
- 'He'll rest at peace in the mountains': Family give their touching tribute to 'imaginative and adventurous' Oxford University student who died on Varsity ski trip in French Alps
- Russian missile test goes spectacularly wrong when rocket destroys its launcher amid reports Russia has given up on strikes from Putin’s only aircraft carrier
- Earth could be DESTROYED in a fiery inferno as the sun swells to 100 times its current size
- Poundland told of misspelling 'misteltoe' on Christmas decorations by SIX-year-old
More from UK
- Scarlett Moffatt's dad reveals he was furious when the I'm A Celebrity winner was crying on Larry Lamb's lap
- Joey Barton claims media built him up to be Lionel Messi as midfielder insists he has no regrets over Rangers spell
- Cheapest train tickets for Christmas - Here's how to make sure you bag one with this little-known legal loophole
- Topless PETA protester pretends to be turkey in bizarre stunt urging people to 'go vegan' this Christmas
- Christmas Prize Bonanza Day 8: Win a pair of ghd's
By Deni Kirkova
PUBLISHED: 04:09 EST, 12 December 2012 | UPDATED: 06:15 EST, 12 December 2012
A new Channel 4 documentary is set to lift the lid on the disturbing adult baby phenomenon.
The fly-on-the wall programme shows how fully-grown adults choose to embrace an
alter ego that allows them to have their nappies changed, dress in a babygro and be looked after like an infant.
With unprecedented access to adult babies and the 'nurseries' they attend, both in the UK and USA, the film explores the motivations behind the adult babies' actions, as well as meeting the 'mummies and daddies' who tend to their needs.
Scroll down for video
Derek is one of the 'babies' featured in the programme which delves in to the secretive world of adult babies
The film explores the motivations behind the adult babies' actions, as well meeting the 'mummies and daddies' who tend to their needs
Acutely aware that many will label them as perverse, sexual fetishists, or presume there is something sinister going on, many adult babies are keen to distinguish their behaviour as role playing.
Some simply yearn to be absolved of any of the responsibilities of modern life, and say that the swapping of taxes for toys and commuting for cuddles simply helps them relax.
For many, this regression to babyhood, with all of the trappings of nappy changing and bottle feeding, is not about sexual kicks but about relinquishing control and escaping the pressures of being a grown-up.
'When I put a nappy on it takes me back to that time when I had no stress,' says Derek, an adult baby.
When asked how old she is today, this adult baby replied: 'Um, I don't know. Daddy might know.'
This adult baby lives in a bedroom filled with over sized toys to make her feel 'very very small'
Described as 'a special bond between two people' shared in a world where baby boys can play at having mummies and baby girls can play at having daddies, Channel 4 investigates this niche of society.
In the trailer, currently available to watch on Channel 4's website, a wife of an adult baby says: 'I think in most wives there is a bit of a mother bond with her husband.'
Adult babies are seen showing camera crew around their 'play rooms'.
A 'dad' is seen saying 'We're just gonna get her [female adult baby] changed real fast.'
The said female adult baby is asked how old she is today, to which she replies: 'Um, I don't know. Daddy might know.'
It's exposed as a hidden world and a place of little awareness or understanding, which can feel lonely - especially when confiding in new acquaintances or partners.
A male adult baby says: 'They just think I'm weird and a freak and never want to talk to me again,' while another confides: 'I can't tell her [my girlfriend] how I feel.'
Derek says there is common misconception that adult babies are peadophiles: 'We don't want to be with children,' he says 'we want to be children'
'I think in most wives there is a bit of a mother bond with her husband'
Another male adult baby says: 'As soon as you mention 'adult baby' they all think it's something to do with children and it's, you know, paedophiles... We don't want to be with children. We want to be the child.'
One thing is for certain. This taboo world is one full of pain and secrecy.
But now adult babies are connecting through social media and realising that they are not alone.
Some believe 'there has to be a good 200,000 to 500,000 maybe in just in the U.S. and the UK',
And as a number of those adult babies come out of hiding for the first time, this Channel 4 documentary will afford curious viewers a glimpse into their secretive world.
This taboo world is often one full of pain and secrecy
This baby believes that there could be up to 500,000 adult babies in America
The 15-Stone Babies will be shown on Channel 4 on Thursday 13 December at 10pm
VIDEO: Watch the trailer for 15 Stone babies