- Trump speaks directly with Taiwan's leader, irking China
- Boss of notorious London crime family Patrick 'Patsy' Adams jailed for shooting a 'grass'
- Hampshire mother's joy as her sons who were born at 23 weeks
- Airbnb settles row with New York City officials after threats it could be fined thousands of dollars for illegal sublets and vows to work WITH them to clamp down on guilty landlords
- Road rage ends in McKnight's death; criticism of case looms
- Jury going into next week in ex-officer's murder trial
- Nations set to approve heritage protection fund
- China lodges protest over Trump call with Taiwan president
- BEL MOONEY: I've been a slave to my cruel partner for 30 years
- Erupting geysers, dramatic waterfalls and epic fjords: Stunning drone footage captures the breathtaking beauty of Norway and Iceland
BBC deny new Doctor Who will be announced today after rumours Matt Smith's replacement would be revealed
More from UK
- Terminally ill four-year-old girl praying for Christmas miracle is given last minute lifeline with lifesaving trial
- Carl Frampton reignites Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather rumours: ''He's coming to boxing to make more money''
- 'Have some self respect!': Marnie Simpson blasted after stripping naked AGAIN in steamy shower scenes
- Tragic shop worker, 21, dies after slipping and hitting head on pavement while walking girlfriend to bus stop
- Death crash lorry driver says four-year-old girl victim's image 'will stay with me to my grave'
New names have been thrown into the frame - and there was talk of an early announcement. But maybe not...
Doctor Who star Matt Smith's decision to quit has had the internet swirling with more rumours than the football transfer window (almost).
Will it be the first black Doctor? Or a woman Doctor? Or what about a gay Doctor? Or will the BBC stick with their more tried and tested formula?
We're keeping track of the names being thrown into the hat to become the fourth Doctor in the BBC reboot after Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith.
Stardust sci fi and fantasy magazine reported the new Doctor could be announced as soon as tonight - which might have upset Simon Cowell a bit...
They claimed the BBC had already done the official photo shoot and were set to reveal the identity of the next Doctor early to avoid it being done by a Sunday paper tomorrow.
The three names they gave as contenders were Domhnall Gleeson, Daniel Kaluuya and Dominic Cooper.
But it looks like Doctor Who fans are going to have to wait a bit longer after the official Doctor Who Twitter account denied anything would happen today, tweeting: "We can confirm there is no #DoctorWho announcement planned for today."
BBC One's account also replied to fans' messages to say no announcement was on the cards.
And judging by the comments from TV producer and director Ed Stradling, there is going to be a while to wait.
He tweeted: "Don't believe what you read about the new Doctor Who being announced this weekend. I think it must be Starburst getting a bit over-excited!
"Steven Moffat says this morning 'I haven't a clue who it is, we've barely started.' So no Doctor Who announcement this evening I fear!"
Stradling suggested the Doctor Who bosses are keeping their options on who will take on Matt Smith's bow tie after he took on David Tennant's Converse and trench after he took on Christopher Eccleston's leather jacket etc.
He tweeted: "On the Doctor Who casting, remember inspiration can come from anywhere. In 2008 Steven wanted a 40+ actor to replace David Tennant then Matt Smith auditioned for Dr Watson in Sherlock. He was wrong for Watson but perfect for DW, so he cast him anyway despite his age.
No comment was passed on the names suggested by Stardust.
Domhnall Gleeson, 30, is an Irish actor who played Ron Weasley's brother Bill in the final two Harry Potter films. Daniel Kaluuya is 24 and best known as Posh Kenneth in E4 drama Skins. He would be the first black Doctor Who. Dominic Cooper, 35, is best known for Mamma Mia! and The History Boys.
How old should the new Doctor Who be?
Which first would you like?
New Doctor Who contendersView gallery
A selection of names in the frame so far...
Backed for it:
They say they want it:
- Benedict Cumberbatch - said to have ruled himself out to focus his attention on offers of Hollywood movie roles