- CANADA STOCKS-TSX adds to record high; led by energy, Restaurant Brands
- Soccer-Five-star Manchester City edge thriller with Monaco
- Floods that saturated Louisiana also damaged its seed rice
- Atletico beats Leverkusen 4-2 in Germany in Champions League
- School district agrees to remove Ten Commandments monument
- Keidel: Where Should Tony Romo Go?
- Police Investigating ATM Skimming Device Found At Local Store
- Police Arrest ‘Godfather’ Of ’12 O’Clock’ Boys On ‘Chop Shop’ Charges
- Former Owner Of Md. Theater Pleads Guilty To Child Porn Charges
- Runaway Cow Dies After Leading Police On Wild Chase In New York City
More from World
- The two Vietnamese girls, both 13, were found in transit lounge at El Prat airport
- Pair were not accompanied by any adults but had cash and four mobile phones
- Police believe they may have been abandoned by an adult during a stopover
- Probe launched to determine if they were victims of a human trafficking gang
Two 13-year-old girls from Vietnam spent four days living in an international transit lounge at Barcelona Airport before being noticed, it has emerged.
The pair were stopped after trying to creep into the airport’s Schengen area where there are no border controls.
They were said to be disorientated and crying and were taken into local authority care after an examination by medical staff.
Respected Spanish newspaper El Pais said the girls had four mobile phones on them as well as cash.
Police are understood to be focusing on the theory that they touched down in Barcelona on a stopover with an adult who may have abandoned them.
Their situation is reminiscent of the movie The Terminal in which Tom Hanks plays a character trapped at JFK Airport in New York for months
Regional Mossos d’Esquadra police officers are expected to launch a probe to try to discover if the girls could be victims of a human trafficking organisation.
They are said to have offered few details about how they had arrived at Barcelona’s El Prat airport.
Experts have confirmed the girls, who said they were 13 and from Vietnam and speak little English, were minors.
Spain has been on terror alert level four, the second highest, since the start of 2015.